Friday, January 16, 2015

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE FALSE PROPHETS.

In 1992 we had a preacher who came to town, claiming that he died and went to heaven and came back again. A large crowd gathered to hear him speak. It was one of the most sensational church events I'd ever attended.
A few year later, we had another preacher come to town. This one  claimed that he had been to heaven so many times he knew the names of every angel in heaven. He said, "If there are any angels in heaven whose name I don't know, they must have been recently created."
One of the benefits of growing older in the Lord is that I am no longer sensation-driven. I am no longer intoxicated by sensational preachers and televangelists who talk about dreams, visions, revelations and prophecy.
Just because a man says he saw heaven, don't mean I should believe him. Just because some prophet said they heard a voice, don't mean I should follow them. I am only moved by the sound teaching of the word of God. Teach the complete Gospel and you've got my attention. Start jumping around and talking about spooky stuff, and I will distance myself as far as possible from you.
Does that mean I don't believe in the miraculous?  Trust me I do. I am a Pentecostal for crying out loud!
But there are too many falsehood being perpetrated in the Christiandom that I feel the need to caution anyone who cares to listen. 
Just recently, Alex Malarkey who wrote a book in 2010 titled , "The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven," confessed that the book was all made up. In the book, this boy claimed that he went to heaven and actually spoke with Jesus.
Naturally the book was an instant bestseller. Millions of copies have been sold up to date. 
The fact that millions of Christians bought this book shows that sensation sells. People will gather around a preacher who is sensational as opposed to one who is theological. People don't have time for indepth studying of the word of God. They would rather pursue the sensational.
 If I write a book on the Life of Jesus Christ, I bet you that I won't sell more than 50 copies. But if I write a book titled, How I died and came back From Heaven, you can be sure that millions of copies would be sold. 
The problem with christianity is not that we have too many false prophets. The problem is, that we have too many sensation-driven Christians. Until we stop going after the spectacular and the sensational, false prophets will continue to thrive in our midst.
http://amzn.com/B00IK1T14C

No comments: